Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Name? Year? Major?
Brian Kennedy
Fifth Year
Computer Science Major

What courses have you taken post-calculus (please include course names and not numbers)?
Math 115 (Linear Algebra)
Math 151A (Applied Numerical Methods)

Why are you taking this course?
I need to take one more math course to satisfy my major's "Pick three upper division courses from some other department" requirement, and this class looked interesting.

Tell me about the math professor/teacher you've had whose been most effective. Tell me what s/he did that worked so well.
It was the professor for applied numerical methods. He posted his notes online, and when he would go over the material, he was always excited about what he was teaching. He would also have small 'quizzes' during class where now and then. Just after he had introduced something new, he would have us take out a piece of paper and work on one or two problems and then switch papers, grade and go over the answers. If I remember correctly, the quizzes didn't count against you, and it could help improve your grade by participating. It seemed to help us know whether or not we really got what he was teaching us.

Tell me about the math professor/teacher you've had whose been least effective. Tell me what s/he did that worked so poorly.
It was the professor for math 115A. This was the first math class where I had to prove things for homework and the exams. He never went through the different methods of mathematical proofs and just guessed that we knew how without asking. He would also go through the proofs for various things during class, but not really give us any idea for the rationale behind them. He also called us all stupid after the midterm since everyone except for one person scored less than 50%.

You wouldn't know it by looking at me, but ...
I like to play racquetball.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

You might want to try playing squash, a far superior sport to racquetball. I'd be willing to show you how to play sometime.